CHS Economic Growth – The Great News Continues
John McDermott and Warren Wise report for The Post and Courier on the strengths and momentum of the CHS economy, and some of its challenges. Some highlights:
- 43 newcomers move to CHS region every day
- 25,000 new jobs by the end of the decade
- 5,000 new jobs in 2015 and again in 2016
- Port of CHS will have another double-digit year of growth, with container growth at 15% and 8% in 2016
- Moderate increases in building permits (6,000-6,500 for the next two years) and home sales and values
- 3.8% more passenger at CHS airport after gaining 7% in 2014
- Retail sales will moderate to 2.8% in 2015 and 2016, down from an astounding 5.4% in 2014
Some of the challenges/concerns are labor/wage inflation for employers to find qualified workers, and where is everyone coming going to live – suburban sprawl or more intense infill development?
Posted on March 7, 2015, in CHS, CHS Jobs/Economy, Market Reports, The Post and Courier and tagged Airport, cargo, economy, Jobs, John McDermott, permits, Port, Warren Wise. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.