Category Archives: CHS Retail
Southeastern Grocers of JAX FL announced it will close the 46,000 SF Bi-Lo at 1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd. in Mount Pleasant in January, their 3rd such closure announcement for CHS in the past year. It closed the Remount Road store in April and their downtown Meeting Street location in September. Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has the story here.
The BigKmart at 8571 Rivers Avenue in (far) North Charleston will close in March, one of 78 stores (and 26 Sears) announced – and 30 Kmarts and 16 Sears announced in late December. Only the Kmart on Ladson Road in Summerville remains in the CHS region. The Post and Courier’s Warren Wise has the story here.
Upstate-based Oobe Meanswear will open a King Street store in a 2,700 SF building at 161 King Street.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier brings us up to date on all rumors and confirmed stories regarding retail in CHS, including:
- A new Chick-Fil-A in Mount Pleasant, this one at 653 Long Point Road just outside I-526 and across from the Harris Teeter anchored Belle Hall Shopping Center
- Bikram Yoga and a Blue Water c-store are also coming to Mount Pleasant
- PetSmart opened a new store at 850 Folly Road in the Super Bi-Lo anchored center on James Island
- Waffle House is opening its 8th area location, this one in N CHS at Sumner Avenue and Paulson Street, opposite a new Bojangle’s
- McDonald’s is planning a store at 1645 Red Bank Road near the new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market in Goose Creek/Berkeley County near SPAWAR
- A new Fresh Produce women’s clothing store opens at 218 King Street downtown, in the former Nine West store, relocating its nearby store out of Shops at Belmond Charleston Place
The Post and Courier highlighted the local economy’s 2016 headlines in a single article; among the highlights:
- Update on dredging of CHS harbor with the start of a single dollar from President Trump
- Boeing’s new 787-10, made exclusively in N CHS, will be a major focus of the manufacturer forward as the larger plane replaces the shorter version 787-8 made in Seattle
- More changes at CHS airport with a focus on parking to handle the increased volume
- A strong housing outlook to handle the 35 newcomers a day moving to the region
- A tightening labor market amid the 3.4% unemployment rate, the lowest since 2000
- New retailers including member-clubs such as our first BJ’s Wholesale, a Costco in Mount Pleasant, the region’s second, and another Sam’s Club, this one in Summerville
- More hotels, including the new Hotel Bennett at Marion Square downtown with rooms starting at $500/night, and another dozen hotels approved or under construction – just on the downtown Peninsula
Virgina Beach-based Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust bought 13 retail centers in South Carolina and one in Georgia, totaling 603,000 SF and 92% occupied and anchored by the likes of Bi-Lo (8 centers), Piggly Wiggly (5) and Harris Teeter (1). Locally, three centers were included – Harris Teeter center at Folly Road Crossing on James Island, Bi-Lo anchored Ladson Crossing in Ladson, and a Piggly Wiggly in Mocks Corner. Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has the story here.
Warren Wise has uncovered plans for two grocers planning stores in metro CHS – a new Publix at 1411 Folly Road on James Island, not far from a very successful Publix to the north at 520 Folly Road (and Harbor View Road).
Also, Sav-A-Lot will (open in mid-June) a new 16,000 SF store at Oak Ridge Plaza Shopping Center at 5060 Dorchester Road; that’s just outside I-526.
We’ve also heard about yet another grocery store for Mount Pleasant.
Kimco Realty finally publicly revealed its plans to add Harris Teeter to the mix at Westwood Plaza Shopping Center in West Ashley, adjacent Barnes & Noble. Office Depot and TJMaxx also co-tenant the center. Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has the announcement here. Kimco renovated the St. Andrews Center anchored also by Harris Teeter and West Marine/Petco/Stein Mart on Savannah Hwy back in 2009. John Orr, CCIM, and Elyse Chubb Welch, CCIM, handle the local leasing for Kimco in each of these centers.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has announcements on top of announcements, including:
- Mellow Mushroom opening near Tanger in N CHS
- La-Z-Boy furniture showroom opening in N CHS, too, next to the new Conn’s Electronics store, also near Tanger
- Plum Goose Home Furnishings in West Ashley
- Charlotte-based Famous Toastery announcing five restaurant locations; for now, Summerville, N CHS, and later Mount Pleasant.