Category Archives: Retail/Retailers
The BigKmart at 8571 Rivers Avenue in (far) North Charleston will close in March, one of 78 stores (and 26 Sears) announced – and 30 Kmarts and 16 Sears announced in late December. Only the Kmart on Ladson Road in Summerville remains in the CHS region. The Post and Courier’s Warren Wise has the story here.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier brings us up to date on all rumors and confirmed stories regarding retail in CHS, including:
- A new Chick-Fil-A in Mount Pleasant, this one at 653 Long Point Road just outside I-526 and across from the Harris Teeter anchored Belle Hall Shopping Center
- Bikram Yoga and a Blue Water c-store are also coming to Mount Pleasant
- PetSmart opened a new store at 850 Folly Road in the Super Bi-Lo anchored center on James Island
- Waffle House is opening its 8th area location, this one in N CHS at Sumner Avenue and Paulson Street, opposite a new Bojangle’s
- McDonald’s is planning a store at 1645 Red Bank Road near the new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market in Goose Creek/Berkeley County near SPAWAR
- A new Fresh Produce women’s clothing store opens at 218 King Street downtown, in the former Nine West store, relocating its nearby store out of Shops at Belmond Charleston Place
Frothy Beard Brewing Co. of N CHS and food truck Zombie Bob’s Pizza are joining forces and will open a joint operation at Ashley Landing in West Ashley this Fall. It will include a large brewing area and CHS’ largest indoor taproom and a large outdoor seating area according to the founders. Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has that story along with a few other retailer notes around town.
The Post and Courier’s Warren Wise has an update on all things retail in and around Charleston, including five new tenants announced for the Freshfields shopping center at Kiawah Island, and Sav-A-Lot’s grand opening of its second area store.
Bi-Lo is closing its 39k SF Remount Road store, just west of Rhett Avenue in N CHS. The company says they have no plans to close any of its other 16 remaining stores in the region. Warren Wise has the announcement here for The Post and Courier.
Lat Purser & Associates, the very experienced Charlotte developer, has proposed a $5M renovation of the very tired Ashley Oaks Plaza shopping center at Ashley River Road and Wappoo Road in West Ashley. With a larger private equity fund partner, they bought the center for about $5.5M back in November. Colliers own John Orr and Elyse Chubb Welch were selected to lease the center back to the 21st century. Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has the article here.
Strange bedfellows? Whole Foods have finally put rumors to rest and officially selected the site for its 2nd CHS location – this one on Savannah Hwy in West Ashley and next to the Doschers IGA Supermarket. A modern Harris Teeter is just down the street in West Ashley, but this Whole Foods will be a major catalyst to those undiscovered and overlooked retail centers and retailer in the West Ashley neighborhood, an infill location with high incomes and high traffic along Savannah Hwy. Whole Foods only other CHS location is in Mount Pleasant. The West Ashley location will open in 2017. The Post and Courier’s Warren Wise has the article here.
Dairy Queen is planning to open eight new stores in the Lowcoutry over the next five years; the first one opens in Goose Creek this week.
- new stores at South Windermere Shopping Center
- an expansion for Gywnn’s in Mount Pleasant
- Eggs Up Grill, a new restaurant coming in the Spring to the Cane Bay Publix center, and
- a new small (22k SF) retail development planned at Shadowmoss Plantation in West Ashley.
The Kimbrell’s-anchored center at 208 Saint James Avenue in Goose Creek was purchased in November and will reportedly be converted to self storage units, similar to the Food Lion that across St. James that was recently converted. An investor, SIG-Goose Creek, paid about $53/SF for the vacant retail box adjacent to Kimbrell’s that once housed a grocery store then a call center for National Car Rental then a call center for the now infamous JK Harris tax representation firm. No article(s).
In November, Seacoast Christian Community Church paid about $7.5M for the 74,400 SF Shoppers Port Retail Center at 2039 Savannah Hwy (at I-526 terminus). Seacoast already occupied a large portion of the center, along with many traditional retail tenants. No article.