Southeastern Grocers of JAX FL announced it will close the 46,000 SF Bi-Lo at 1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd. in Mount Pleasant in January, their 3rd such closure announcement for CHS in the past year. It closed the Remount Road store in April and their downtown Meeting Street location in September. Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has the story here.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier brings us up to date on all rumors and confirmed stories regarding retail in CHS, including:
- A new Chick-Fil-A in Mount Pleasant, this one at 653 Long Point Road just outside I-526 and across from the Harris Teeter anchored Belle Hall Shopping Center
- Bikram Yoga and a Blue Water c-store are also coming to Mount Pleasant
- PetSmart opened a new store at 850 Folly Road in the Super Bi-Lo anchored center on James Island
- Waffle House is opening its 8th area location, this one in N CHS at Sumner Avenue and Paulson Street, opposite a new Bojangle’s
- McDonald’s is planning a store at 1645 Red Bank Road near the new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market in Goose Creek/Berkeley County near SPAWAR
- A new Fresh Produce women’s clothing store opens at 218 King Street downtown, in the former Nine West store, relocating its nearby store out of Shops at Belmond Charleston Place
A dark restaurant at 201 Coleman Blvd. in Mount Pleasant that once housed Sette VII will be leased for a new dining/bar establishment according to the owners and Warren Wise’s Post and Courier article.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier has an article updating the local retail scene, including the announcement of a 4th Chipotle, this one in Mount Pleasant; and plans for their 5th store in West Ashley near Citadel Mall. Also, specialty food retailer Southern Season opening a store (kinda) downtown on Market Street.
Warren Wise has his ear to the ground again with all kinds of openings, and some closings:
- Cirque Salon Studios is taking the 6,200 SF former Carolina’s restaurant at 10 Exchange St downtown
- Boot Barn opened a 10,000 SF store at Promenade at Northwoods Shopping Center across from Northwoods Mall in N CHS
- Bellacino’s Pizza & Grinders out of Michigan opened a 2,400 SF store in the Harris-Teeter anchored Sawmill Village Shopping Center in Summerville
- Kirkland’s closed its 5,540 SF store in the Wal-Mart anchored Wando Crossing Shopping Center in Mount Pleasant
The Post and Courier’s Warren Wise has the latest on retailer/restaurant openings around town. And no closings.
- Lane Bryant opened a new Mount Pleasant store at the Wal-Mart-anchored Wando Crossing Shopping Center, its third store in greater CHS
- Orangetheory Fitness in Summerville is looking to expand to Mount Pleasant, joining the existing West Ashley location
- A new consignment shop downtown
- Persimmon Cafe opening soon in Summerville at the EarthFare anchored Summerville Marketplace Shopping Center
- Woof Gang Bakery now with a second CHS location, this one in Mount Pleasant
Lowes Foods out of NC (and no relation to the other Lowe’s) is planning its first CHS area store in Mount Pleasant at Hwy 41 and Wood Park Drive, near the Rivertowne subdivision entrance and directly across from a Harris Teeter. John McDermott of The Post and Courier has the story here.
Wal-Mart wants to expand (and maybe especially re-locate) its grocery store in the Wal-Mart at Wando Crossing in Mount Pleasant. They want to expand by 61k SF on some excess land and add/expand/re-locate the grocery store that is in the back of the existing store; the re-located grocery section would be to the side, similar to other Wal-Marts. Warren Wise has the article here for The Post and Courier.
CHS’ only significant condo building, Tides IV, in Mount Pleasant, has been topped out and the $50M project will soon begin on interior buildouts. Prices range from $430k to $2.25M; 25 of the 54 units are sold. Jim Parker of The Post and Courier has the article here.
J. Crew Mercantile, the big retailer’s new outlet concept, will take 6,000 SF at the new Bowman Place Shopping Center in Mount Pleasant, joining Dick’s Sporting Goods, DSW Shoes, and Urban Cookhouse. Warren Wise has the announcement for The Post and Courier, along with other revelations:
- Zaxby’s, Mellow Mushroom and Community Pizza House all coming to the Tanger Outlets area in N CHS
- A new Urban Nirvana in N CHS
- Another Zaxby’s, this one on Hwy 17 N in Mount Pleasant