The top 20 retailers in the U.S. in terms of gross sales are, according to a list from BisNow.com – and two weren’t even really around 15 years ago (Amazon and Apple).
- Wal-Mart ($343B and 5,109 stores)
- Kroger Co ($103B and 3730 stores)
- Costco ($78B and 464 stores)
- Home Depot ($74B and 1,965 stores)
- Walgreens ($72B and 8,157 stores)
- Target ($72B and 1,790 stores)
- CVS/CareMark ($67B and 7,808 stores)
- Lowe’s ($54B)
- Amazon ($49N – NO STORES!)
- Safeway ($36B and 1,326 stores)
- Best Buy ($35B and 1,445 stores)
- McDonald’s ($35B and 14,350 stores)
- Publix ($30B and 1,296 stores)
- Apple ($28B and 259 stores)
- Macy’s ($28B and 821 stores)
- RiteAid ($26B and 4,570 stores)
- Ahold ($25B and 768 stores)
- Sears Holding ($25B and 1,659 stores)
- TJX Cos. ($22B and 2,569 stores)
- HEB Grocery ($19B and 317 stores)
Rose’s, the NC-based discount merchandiser, is returning to CHS with an 18k SF store at 5341 Dorchester Road in N CHS. Its grand opening was this week. Other retailer stories from Warren Wise of The Post and Courier:
- Another store closing at Citadel Mall; this one Finish LIne; King Street Grille closed earlier this month
- Two new stores at Mount Pleasant Towne Centre – Liliy Rain with 2k SF and Athleta, has opened a 4.1k SF store formerly occupied by American Eagle.
- Tommy Bahama has opened a store at Freshfields Village near Kiawah.
- G. Sergeant Antiques has opened at 86-A Queen Street downtown.
- Miss Lulu’s Bohicket has opened its dining and gourmet food-to-go (and clothes, really!), in a former bank (no, really) at Bohicket Marina.
After five years of searching for a site downtown, Ruth’s Chris Steak House will open Memorial Day weekend at 166 Church Street downtown. Warren Wise has the announcement along with a few other retailer/restaurants around town:
- CHS Farmers Market returns on Saturday mornings at Marion Square thru November.
- Whole Foods unveils is newly remodeled store in Mount Pleasant on April 7th.
- Palmetto Moon is opening its 10th store, and first outside the state, at the new Tanger Outlets in Pooler/Savannah along I-95.
- Family Dollar is opening a new store in Moncks Corner, developed by our friends at Twin Rivers.
- Kiawah Fine Jewelry will open a 1,200 SF store in the HarrisTeeter center at Houston Northcutt Blvd in Mount Pleasant.
- Two new retailers are coming to Elan Midtown, King of Pops and a wine shop.
The Colliers International Charleston Retail Group headed by John Orr, CCIM, has released its Q1 2014 Market Report and the market is sizzling with new development and re-development, higher rental rates (“soaring downtown on King Street”), and an overall occupancy in the 93% range (96.6% downtown), with new stores, restaurants and hotels opening all over the city. Click here to download the complete report.
The Post and Courier reports on an AP story that Radio Shack will close one in five of its stores, about 1,100 in all, in a cost-cutting move, after same-store sales fell a stunning 19% last year.
The Charleston retail market continued to improve since mid-year 2013 with increased occupancy rates and new construction. National tenants are showing a greater interest in Charleston. Bass Pro Shops, Southern Season, H&M, Chipotle and Madewell all opened stores or announced plans to locate to the market.
See the entire market report here from our retail landlord services team of John Orr, CCIM, and Elyse Chubb.
Blame it on a weaker economy, less golfers or just a poor site in light of where its customers are, Edwin Watts is closing its Orleans Road store in West Ashley. See the article from Abigail Darlington of The Post and Courier.
The Post and Courier’s Abigail Darlington reports on new tenants at Tanger Outlets in CHS and news on other retailers around the region.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier reports on the addition of some 16 new tenants at the new HarrisTeeter anchored center on Dorchester Road in North Charleston, the Corner at Wescott.