In an update from the staff at The Post and Courier, a few new dining and retail options, including:
- Arriba Cantina Cocina Mexican restaurant at the Bohicket Marina on Johns Island
- New YoBo Cantina Fresca at 1067 E. Montague Avenue near Park Circle in N CHS
- New Carvel ice cream a Mount Pleasant Towne Centre
- Expanded Copper Penny shoe store at Mount Pleasant Towne Centre
Abercrombie & Fitch – 60 stores
Aeropostale – 120 in 2014 and closing another 126 mall outlets in fiscal 2015
Barnes & Noble – doesn’t cite how many, just alot of stores in flux at this company
Family Dollar – pending acquisition by DollarTree could result in 500 FD’s closing
JCPenney – 40 stores in 2015
Macy’s – 14 store closings announced in January 2015
Office Depot – after merging with OfficeMax (2013), to close 400 stores by YE 2016; now talking merger with Staples, and more stores could close as a result
Radio Shack – in flux, with RS’ recent bankruptcy filing; trying to sell 1500-2400 of its 4000 stores to General Wireless and working out a deal with Sprint for some (other) stores
Sears Holdings – closing 235 stores, mostly KMarts, announced in December.
Staples – announced March 2014 it would close 225 underperfoming stores by mid-2015. One retail analyst estimates a merger or Staples/Office Depot could result in 1,000 store closings.
Warren Wise of The Post and Courier provides a great summary of all kinds of activity for retailers in the CHS region. Some highlights:
- West Marine is remodeling its store at St. Andrews Shopping Center, the Kimco center anchored by HarrisTeeter. A special shout-out to John Orr, CCIM, and Elyse Chubb, the retailer leasing team with Colliers International, that just picked up the leasing of that center and another one for Kimco.
- Southern Tide signature shop in the Island Sport shop at Freshfields Village in Kiawah.
- Night Market returns to the historic CIty Market on Thursday and Friday nites thru July.
- New AT&T store in Goose Creek at 514 St. James Ave.
- Murphy Express under construction in Summerville.
- Cornerstone Minerals of Asheville NC has leased 1,200 SF at 539 King Street.
- Great Clips will open in April at the HarrisTeeter center at Houston Northcutt and US 17 in Mount Pleasant
Directly across from Tanger Outlet Center, a small multi-tenant retail center is coming to the pad out front of Shoppes at Centre Pointe on Centre Point Drive, between IHOP and Qdoba. Its only four suites and there have been leased – to Carolinas TelCo Federal Credit Union, to Sport Clips and an AT&T store; the fourth bay is not yet leased. Expected opening is by December. Abigail Darlington of The Post and Courier has the brief story here.